Thursday, February 28, 2013

Extra-Terrestrial

Aliens. Are. Freaky. Especially E.T. I know he is portrayed as a kind, caring, and loving alien, but I will always be afraid of him. Every since I was little, E.T has scared me to death.  One of my clearest memories from when I was super little (like 3 or 4) was when I thought that my laundry basket was E.T and I freaked out! Anyway, this 1982 film was directed by Steven Spielberg, a well known director (he was also Dawson Leery's favorite in Dawson's Creek). The film won 4 Academy Awards, and is said to be a portrait of the director himself.  Spielberg relates himself to Elliot, the main character, in many ways such as how Elliott fakes illness by holding the thermometer to a light bulb while covering his face with a heating pad, a trick often performed by the young Spielberg. Michael's picking on Elliott echoes Spielberg's teasing of his younger sisters, and Michael's evolution from tormentor to protector reflects how Spielberg had to take care of his sisters after their father left.  No matter what though, E.T is always going to be a creep to me.

 I mean, just look at him!! ^ AHHH. 

1 comment: